gratitude — the state of being grateful : thankfulness
On this Gratitude Sunday, I am grateful for:
- Beautiful sunsets
- Visits with my brother and niece — they don’t get to come off the “Cape” often, but when they do we make the most of our time together 🙂
- The annual “reset” that New Year brings each January — I am not one for resolutions, but I do value the taking stock, reflection, and planning for coming year
- Our amazing chickens — yesterday was the first day since they starting laying a few weeks ago that all six gave us an egg (or as we joke “paid their rent” 🙂 )!
- The traditional burning ceremony our church holds each first Sunday of January — it’s always one of the best attended services and it feels great to collectively let go of the personal emotional baggage from the previous year 🙂
- Trying out a new recipe and it’s a successful! I made this cake for our family gathering on Monday and it was a delicious hit, yum.
- Being given the contact details of a local farmer who sells organic chicken feed at a super price — we’ll save a lot of $$ buying from him in future (and he’s super nice to boot!)
- This break from my studies and the grind of daily classes — I am starting to feel my batteries recharging and beginning to look forward to the next semester. 🙂
- But in the meantime, it’s been nice to return to fiction reading. With so much to keep up with reading assignment-wise during the fall, I was left with no time (or desire) for leisure reading.
- New Year’s eating traditions: I love this part of the festivities. I made the traditional PA Dutch pork and sauerkraut for James (and I confess it smelled so good, for a second or two, I questioned my vegetarian status!) and I had sauerkraut with collard greens, beans, and soba noodles — a total hodgepodge of ethnic NY’s good luck foods but delicious nevertheless. 🙂
- The year that has passed — last year at this time, I had zero idea of what my life would like now, having just been made redundant a few weeks earlier. Sure, life is always uncertain, but I am excited by the direction my work has shifted in 2015 and can’t wait to learn more in the coming year!