It’s been a gorgeous summer week here, full of all the good things this season offers — sunshine, cool breezy evenings, blooms everywhere, and meals made with homegrown produce: the best! But I am so behind in many little things, since jam making and weeding have become priorities. Then again, being outdoors as the sun’s rays warm your shoulders is such a pleasure when one dares to think back just a few months ago and all the snow and ice — the ice! — of winter. No, we must savor these days in each and every way, as they are fleeting. And if you have no garden of your own, check out a local pick-your-own farm. A morning full of picking is great fun and also humbling because those berry buckets take a long time to fill. 🙂 Have a lovely weekend!!
June was a full and, at times, a challenging month for us, with many lessons and reminders of how little of life we have control of, except for our reactions to it, of course. And during these days when patience and resolve may be tested, expressing gratitude for all of the abundant gifts we have, including the amazing good fortune to live in such gorgeous surroundings, becomes a priority and way in which I center myself. So as we welcome July with open arms, here is a list of June moments that helped to buoy us over some bumpy waves.
- Chocolate ice cream cones for Sunday dinner
- Watching our six chicks grow and their personalities begin to emerge and develop, so fun!
- Picnics in the garden
- Leni’s first summer with us — she continues to be the happiest dog and the most determined spreader of joy I’ve ever met. Recently, she was given upstairs privileges and surprised no one with her special leapfrogging technique with which she launches herself up the entire flight with only three touches — boundless joy, I tell you! ❤
- The start of berry season! I mean, really, can you ever get enough fresh berries, and the pies, tarts, and jam that follow 🙂
- The BBC Radio 4 WWI serial Home Front — LOVE it!
- A good closet sort out (and as a bonus, I made some extra $$ sending a big bag off to Twice)
- Baby birds everywhere! In addition to the chicks, we’ve delighted in watching the downy and red-bellied woodpeckers bring their youngsters to our feeders, as well as the house wren family that has holed up in one of the bird houses for the season. The Northern mockingbirds, bird birds, red-winged black birds, robins, and catbirds are all busy with their latest offspring, too — it’s been a very successful breeding season for sure 🙂
- Rainy days, which equal baking days when my husband is home 🙂
- Weddings, weddings, weddings!
- Summer breezes that keep my office mobiles a’spinning
- The light, all that extra daylight that makes me often lose track of time, especially when I’m in the middle of doing something I love. May you keep shining down on us, and as the great Walt says, let the shadows fall behind us