It’s a busy time of year, this garden season, but one I love just the same. Here are 10 more things I’m loving today.
- This still life painting I finished for my painting class. I’ve never painted before, and I have so much respect for painters after trying it myself. But this one has turned out better than I expected!
2. This most neglected rose bush that, despite my forgetfulness and lack of care, still gifts me with perfect, beautiful blooms.
3. Our resident house finch family — the couple has been raising a young family this summer in one of our bird boxes. For weeks, we’ve heard the little ones chirping away inside, but yesterday the parents had the whole brood in our front garden for an outing. The little ones had their first pecks in the grass and practiced spreading their wings while their parents kept a close watch. I am grateful to have been audience to such beautiful moments.
4. This great spangled fritillary arrived at our kitchen door to mark the first day of summer and has been keeping close by in our flower garden ever since — gorgeous!
5. The first harvests of the season — we have a good stream of radishes, peas, and salad coming in from our garden these days. Plus, I’ve made a good stock of strawberry/rhubarb and fruits del mosque (elderberry, wild raspberry + blackberry) jams. Today, a blueberry cake to make is on my agenda (priorities!🙂 ).
6. This chestnut tree — my favorite on the whole property. It has an enormous canopy and strong boughs (from which to hang my hammock), and it’s in flower now to boot.
7. The first of the lavender was ready to pick for drying. Is there any fragrance more sweet or summery, I don’t believe so.
8. Receiving a long letter from a new penfriend in Japan — whatever advantages our technological world offers us, I still prefer good, old-fashioned letters in the mail.🙂
9. This 8-foot tall hollyhock — I have been waiting all week for the flowers to open and yesterday they finally did.❤
10. This weather — I don’t know when we’ve had an early summer so perfect. The days are warm and sunny, just what the garden needs, and the evenings cool, ensuring deep rejuvenating sleep.
Hope all is well and beautiful in your part of the world!